Our Lady of Lourdes Primary School is a Catholic Primary School administered by the Catholic Education Office of the Townsville Diocese.
The Director of the Catholic Education Office, Dr Cathy Day and the Diocesan Education Council in association with the
Principal, are responsible for the formal programmes and vision of the school.
Father T. O'Connor, the first Parish Priest of the Ingham district, was appointed in 1914. The following year, at his request, the first community of Sisters of Mercy arrived from Townsville. They travelled by steamboat to Lucinda Point, then by a small loco train into town. Under the leadership of Mother Aloysius, the Sisters set up the first "Our Lady of Lourdes" school in the local Presbytery, and had an initial enrolment of 60 children.
In 1932, the school was transferred to another building, which was originally an old bank in Charters Towers. Then in 1949, the Sisters branched into secondary education as well.
As enrolments in both primary and secondary schools increased, further Sisters were appointed to Ingham, and by 1950, it was necessary to enlarge the Convent, by adding the top storey.
During the 1960's, the parish saw the need to build a new Primary school, and in 1967 the first of the new buildings was blessed and opened. The building programme continued until 1983, with the addition of four classrooms and an administration area. In 1989, six classrooms were restructured to accommodate eight classrooms.
Our Lady of Lourdes School accommodated boys and girls for Year 1 to Year 4, and girls only in Years 5, 6 and 7. In 1987, the boys, instead of transferring to Gilroy Santa Maria College in Year 5, remained at Our Lady of Lourdes School. By 1989, Our Lady of Lourdes Primary School became fully co-educational from Year 1 to 7. Preparatory began in 2004 with the school now offering a Catholic Education from Preparatory to Year 6.
With the decline in numbers of teaching religious in the mid-1960's, lay teachers were employed to co-staff Lourdes School. At present, the school is entirely staffed by lay teachers, however the values instilled in our school by the Sisters of Mercy continue to pervade the day to day life of the Lourdes school community today.